You are at the point where you are looking to land your next job.
Being clear that this is the case is a good starting point.
Since 2006 I’ve been helping accountants and professionals build successful careers. When it comes to landing their next job, there are 3 key pillars that they need to focus on.
Pillar 1: Discovery
This is like the foundations of a house. It lays the foundations for landing the right next job.
Interestingly unlike the foundations when building a house, most do little or no work in this area.
People assume that it’s just about submitting a CV, going to the job interview and getting the job offer.
In the discovery phase you want to be answering the following 3 key questions:
- What do I want from my next job?
- What do I have to offer my next employer?
- What am I willing to do to get what I want?
Pillar 2: Marketing
You might say I’m not a marketing professional. Maybe you’re not.
What you do need to understand that you have to market yourself effectively.
In marketing you there are 3 main goals:
- Awareness – which means raising your profile
- Interest – which includes having a good CV and LinkedIn profile
- Invitation – getting on to the short list and being invited for interview
Pillar 3: Selling
Once you get to the interview you have to sell yourself effectively.
In other words:
- Demonstrate why you are the ideal candidate
- Show that you will fit in
- Assure the hiring manager that you will deliver
For professionals this is often a big challenge. They are often uncomfortable with talking themselves up or talking positively about themselves.
What you have to remember is that you are in a competitive process. If one candidate sells themselves to the employer better than the others they get the job.
So that’s the 3 key pillars.
Which pillar do you need to work on most to increase your chances of landing your next job?